ANALYSIS SHOWS 56.0 PERCENT DISBURSEMENT RATE FOR HAITI RECOVERY AMONG PUBLIC SECTOR DONORS
New York, Port-au-Prince, 8 January 2013—The United Nations Office of the Special Envoy for Haiti (OSE), in partnership with the Government of Haiti, updated its analysis of pledges made for post-earthquake recovery activities, revealing a disbursement rate for the 2010-2012 period among public sector donors of 56.0 percent.
Out of the funding disbursed from the pledges, bilateral donors have disbursed $44.5 million out of $1.86 billion (2.4 percent) of their funds as budget support (that has reached the government) and multilateral donors have disbursed $236.1 million out of $1.14 billion (20.6 percent) as budget support.
This revised analysis is based upon updates received in December 2012 from ten of the top 12 bilateral and multilateral donors that made pledges at the international donors’ conference “Towards a New Future for Haiti,” held in New York on 31 March 2010. Of all 55 donors that pledged, 18 have disbursed 100 percent of their pledges. And nine out of the 12 major donors have disbursement rates higher than 66 percent for their 2010 – 2012 pledges.
The 55 donors pledged approximately $5.37 billion for recovery activities between 2010 and 2012. (This number does not include debt relief pledges totaling $1.0 billion). Of the $5.37 billion pledged, $3.01 billion (56.0 percent) has been disbursed.
This $3.01 billion was disbursed by bilateral and multilateral donors through five channels as follows:
- $2.16 billion (71.8 percent) in grants in support of the Government of Haiti, and to multilateral agencies, NGOs and private contractors;
- $281.8 million (9.4 percent) in pooled grant funding to the United Nations, Inter-American Development Bank and the World Bank through the Haiti Reconstruction Fund (HRF);
- $255.6 million (8.5 percent) in direct budget support to the Government of Haiti;
- $209.2 million (7.0 percent) in loans to the Government of Haiti and other recipients; and
- $102.5 million (3.4 percent) in budget support to the Government of Haiti via the HRF (of which $25 million has been disbursed by the HRF partner entities to the government).
Bilateral and multilateral donors have disbursed an additional $1.01 billion for general development in Haiti, outside of the New York conference recovery pledges. Of this $1.01 billion, $5 million has been disbursed to the HRF as budget support.
This analysis does not include funds pledged for humanitarian relief activities. It is also exclusive of pledges made by privately funded organizations at the New York donors’ conference.